1. SRI RAMAKRISHNA KUTIR (ASHRAMA): Swamis Shivanandaji & Turiyanandaji, both disciples of Sri Ramakrishna, performed tapasya on this spot. Ashrama is situated at the Bright End Corner near AIR Station (Akashavani) and is 2 KM away from Almora Town.
2. SRI NANDADEVI TEMPLE: Most famous temple in Almora Town. Annual Nandadevi Mela held here. Perhaps Swami Vivekananda visited this temple. Approximately 2 KM away from Ashrama.
3. SRI RAGHUNATH TEMPLE: Another important temple. On his second visit to Almora after returning from the West, Swami Vivekananda was received by a large crowd at Lodea (a nearby village) on the afternoon of 11th May 1897. At their request Swamiji mounted a handsomely decorated horse and headed a procession to reach Almora Main Bazar. A grand reception by four to five thousand people was given to Swami Vivekanandain front of this temple. Approximately 1.5 KM away from Ashrama.
4. SRI LALA BADRI SHAH’S HOUSE: Swami Vivekananda, Swami Akhandananda and other disciples stayed here during their wandering days [in August & September 1890]. After returning from the West he again visited Almora on 11th May 1897 and stayed in this house. A few steps away from Sri Raghunath Temple. There is a marble plaque fixed on the outside wall of the house. Open to public on request after 03.00 PM. Approximately 2 KM away from Ashrama.
5. THOMPSON HOUSE (NOW INDUSTRIAL TRAINING INSTITUTE): Swamis Vivekananda, Sadananda, Swarupananda, Kripananda and also Goodwin and some other Western disciples stayed here. After the untimely demise of Mr. Rajam Iyer, first editor of Prabuddha Bharata, the magazine was brought out from here before it was shifted to Mayawati. Situated just opposite to Akashavani station. Approximately 0.5 KM away from Ashrama.
6. NIVEDITA COTTAGE(OAKLAY HOUSE): Now named Hotel Deodhar, it is under the care of one of the descendants of Sri Lala Badri Shah. Sister Nivedita and other Western lady disciples of Swami Vivekananda stayed here. Under a Devdhar tree Swami Vivekananda blessed Sister Nivedita. Open to public on request during evenings after 03.00 PM. Approximately 1 KM away from the Ashrama.
7. GOVERNMENT INTER COLLEGE, ALMORA: On 27th July 1897, Swami Vivekananda lectured here in Hindi on “Vedic Teaching in Theory and Practice”. This is for the first time Swamiji delivered a lecture in Hindi language and the masterly way in which he handled the language drew admiration from everyone in the audience.
8. VIVEKANANDA REST HOUSE: Swami Vivekananda alongwith Swami Akhandananda came to Almora (in 1890) by foot from Nainital via Kakrighat. Here he almost fainted due to want of food and water. A muslim Fakir, Zulfikar Ali by name, fed him with a cucumber and Swamiji regained his strength. The Rest House was built by Sri Boshi Sen, the founder of Swami Vivekananda Institute of Hill Agriculture (Vivekananda Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan). Approximately 1 KM away from the Ashrama.
9. CHEELKAPET HOUSE (NOW INSTITUTE OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT): Swamis Shivananda and Turiyananda stayed here while the present Ashrama was being constructed. They are believed to have stayed in the two small rooms situated behind the main building. The Main building can be seen from behind the Ashrama.
10. KAKRI GHAT: Swami Vivekananda along with Swami Akhandananda meditated under the Ashwattha tree near Shiva Temple [in August 1890]. He had a revelation that the microcosm and macrocosm were built on the same plan. The original Peepul Tree popularly known as Jnanan Vriksha has completely dried up by mid-2014. A cloned sapling from the same Tree has been planted here on the same spot on 15 July 2016. Approximately 20 KM away from the Ashrama. Public Transport available from Karabala Chowk (1KM from Ashrama)
11. SRI KASAR DEVI TEMPLE: This is almost 2000 years old Devi Temple. Swami Vivekananda meditated in a cave here [in September 1890]. A Shiva Temple is at a little height. Approximately 11 KM away from the Ashrama. Public Transport easily available. Learn more about Kasar Devi Temple in wiki
12. SRI PATAL DEVI TEMPLE: Swamis Akhandanandaji, Turiyanandaji, Sharadanandaji, Kripanandaji and perhaps Swami Vivekanandaji too stayed in the adjacent rooms meant for mendicants. Approximately 7 KM away from the Ashrama.
13. SRI SHYAHI DEVI: Swami Vivekananda had gone there and stayed in a nearby cave [from May 25 to 28 1898]. Approximately 35 KM away from the Ashrama. Involves about 3 KM trek from Sitalakhet Bus Stop. Swami Vivekananda Cave is about 2 KM from the temple.
14. BINSAR WILD LIFE SANCTUARY: Swami Vivekananda stayed in the Government Circuit House. Approximately 31 KM away from the Ashrama. (On the way to Deoldhar. You may chance to see tigers and other wild animals if you are lucky.) Learn more about Binsar in wiki
15 . DEOLDHAR ESTATE : Swami Vivekananda went there on horseback and did tapasya for about 47 days. The buildings including the house in which Swamiji Stayed are in ruins. Now CHIRAG an NGO is conducting some rural welfare work there. Approximately 70 KM away from the Ashrama. (Deoldhar is nearer to Bageshwar and better to go by taxi.)
16. BAGESHWAR (VIA TAKULA): Sri Bageshwar Siva Temple. Approximately 80 KM away from the Ashrama. Learn more about Bageshwar in wiki
17. BAIJNATH: Ancient Devi Temple. With a unique Devi image. 22 KM from Bageshwar. Learn more about Baijnath in wiki
18. KAUSANI (Beyond is Patal Bhuvaneshwar, Munsiayari, Milam etc) Known for scenic beauty. Gandhiji stayed here. Approximately 50 KM away from the Ashrama. Learn more about Kausani in wiki
19. SRI YASHODA MA ASHRAMA AT MIRTOLA (PANVANOLA): Also known as Sri Krishnaprem Ashrama. Has Sri Shyamsundar Temple in the Ashrama premises. Sri Yashoda Ma had been worshipped by Swami Vivekananda as Kumari in her childhood. Sri Durga painting worshipped by Sri Yashoda Ma is now placed in the Ramakrishna Kutir, Almora, shrine. Approximately 25 KM away from the Ashrama. Learn more about Yashoda Ashram in wiki
20. NAINITAL: Naina Devi Mandir and Lake. Swamis Vivekananda, Akhandananda and other direct disciples visited. Approximately 63 KM away from the Ashrama. Learn more about Nainital in wiki
21. BHIMTAL: Bhimtal Lake. In 1900, after getting down at Kathgodam Station, Swami Vivekananda went to Mayavati via Bhimtal. Approximately 65 KM away from the Ashrama. Learn more about Bhimtal Lake in wiki.
22. JAGESHWAR: Shiva Temple visited by Sri Shankaracharya. Vriddha Jageshwar is nearby (12 KM from Jageshwar). Approximately 35 KM away from the Ashrama. (Can be visited on the way to Mayavati. Mayavati is 130 KM from Almora & 95 KM from Jageshwar. Another route to Mayavati is via Devidhura (noted for Varahi Temple)—85+60 KM) Learn more about Jageshwar in wiki.
Also visit other two branch centres of Ramakrishna Math in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand,
1. Advaita Ashrama, Mayawati (130 KM from Almora) and
2. Vivekananda Ashrama, Shyamlatal (around 210 KM from almora)